TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Cutaway of stock FUCA bushings....
People Seeking Info

Subject Cutaway of stock FUCA bushings....

Posted by Bernie (NoVA) on July 31, 2024 at 12:40 AM
  This message has been viewed 213 times.

In Reply To Revised Whiteline polyurethane FUCA bushing design posted by Polishzx on July 18, 2024 at 05:18 PM

Message Stock and Nismo FUCA bushings have 2 different exterior bodies. Each arm uses a total of 4 bushings. Inners have a larger metal body and are stronger to resist twisting compression as best as I can gather. Outers have more compliance and allow the upright to move in its normal range of motion.

The basic design is 2 metal shells that have a rubber sleeve volcanized between them. On the exterior end there is an outer dust boot with a retainer spring to keep it closed. Inside there is a plastic insert with grooves that is packed with what seems to be white lithium grease. There is a inner race / tube which is trapped inside the metal body.
The bottom line is that the whole installed assembly is always held in place but the inner race is free to move, I have never seen one be seized. The inside of the bushing can rotated a full 360 degrees and does not bind up when assembled with the through bolts, even when torqued to 80 ft/lbs.

The bushings are not only location specific but are grease sealed for the lifetime of the car, there is no maintenance routine, there is no need to take apart and redo etc. Their typical failure mode is when they wear out internally and allow too much side to side movement. However even then you might get some steering wheel shake or vibration but not catastrophic bushing deterioration and dangerous camber collapse. Also I can't recall a single car with stock upper arms that made noise with suspension movement.

Inner vs outer:

Cutaway of inner FUCA bushing:

Close Ups:

Bernie Bilski berniebilski@cox.net
President of Z-Car Club of Northern Virginia

1995 Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo in Cobalt Green
1997 Nissan 240SX SE in Ultra Red
2006 Nissan Frontier SE in Ultra Black

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.